Central Georgia CASA began in 1997 as an outreach of the Family Counseling Center of Central Georgia, an agency that has provided services to Georgia since 1957. The Agency saw the need for CASA volunteers and worked with the Bibb County Juvenile Court and Bibb County Department of Family and Children Services to establish the program. The first class of CASA volunteers was sworn in before Judge Thomas Matthews in the Bibb County Juvenile Court in 1997.
In 1999, the CASA program expanded, with the support of a National CASA grant, to cover Peach and Crawford Counties. This provided volunteers to children in all of the counties in the Macon Judicial Circuit.
In 2000, Central Georgia CASA left the Family Counseling center to become a self-sufficient entity. The agency received its independent 501(c)3 status and formed its own board of directors.
Central Georgia CASA currently operates with grants provided by National CASA, Georgia CASA, VOCA (Victims of Crime Act), and PSSF (Promoting Safe and Stable Families). The agency also relies heavily on grant awards from local organizations and Foundations (Peyton Anderson Foundation, Community Foundation of Central Georgia) and community support in the form of donations and volunteer activity.